Sufficient night sleep is a vital necessity for those people, who want to feel and look good during the whole day. Here are 13 tips, that will help you to sleep better:
- Make your own sleeping timetable and follow it. Go to sleep and get up at the same time every day – even at the weekend.
- Exercises are good but you do them wisely. Sports activities are extremely useful, however, try to finish them no later than 2-3 hours before sleep.
- Avoid caffeine and nicotine. The stimulating effect of coffee, tea, cola, and chocolate can last up to 8:00.
- Avoid alcohol before going to bed. A glass of alcoholic drink before bedtime will help you fall asleep faster, but it will prolong the first light sleep stage, as a result, you can awake in the middle of the night when the sedative effect of alcohol will be over.
- Don’t drink or eat too much before going to sleep. Too heavy dinner can cause heartburn or abdominal distention, which in turn will lead to poor sleep.
- Avoid medicines that can disrupt your sleep or keep you awake. The majority of heart and cardiovascular drugs, asthma medications, as well as different medications for treating cough, colds, and allergies, including herbal drugs, can disrupt your sleep.
- Don’t have a nap after 3:00 p.m. A short sleep during the daytime will help to restore strength, but then it will be more difficult to fall asleep at night. Also, don’t sleep more than one hour in the afternoon.
- Relax before going to bed. Read or listen to calm music. This should be a daily evening ritual.
- Take a warm bath before going to bed. The temperature of your body will get lower after bath this will make you dozy, besides, a hot bath will help you to relax.
- Orthopedic mattresses and pillows will make your sleep and rest more comfortable and effective.
- Create good sleeping conditions. Get rid of anything that can distract your sleep, whether it’s noise, bright light, a TV or a computer in your bedroom. Also, the air in the bedroom should be cool, this will help you to sleep well.
- Get some fresh air regularly. Take at least 30 minutes walks every day, this is a key to healthy sleep.
- If you have been lying in a bed for more than 20 minutes but still have not managed to sleep, get up, take a bath and read a book.
If you are feeling tired all the time and don’t have enough rest even after 8-9 hours of sleep, consult your physician.